Ghana Internal Medicine Symposium
The meeting took place at the “Omanye Conference Centre” which is attached to the Labadi Beach Hotel in Accra. The congress lectures were simultaneously transmitted via Skype to Kumasi, the second biggest city in Ghana.
The Postgraduate Course was attended by approximately 300 physicians. Most of the young internists were from Accra and surrounding regions.
The participants were very grateful to hear state-of-the-art lectures from leading specialists.
The following topics were covered:
- Update on heart failure
- Thrombosis, pulmonary embolic disease and the role of D-dimer measurements
- CV trials and the new diabetic treatment choices
- Update on COPD management and GOLD guidelines
- Inflammatory bowel disease and the state of care; focus in auto-immunity
- Rheumatoid arthritis and the biological age
- Adult vaccination. Why, what, when?
- Pain control in osteoarthritis
- A practical approach to antibiotics: principles, rational use for today and tomorrow
One of the crucial activities of the Educational Foundation of ISIM, is the organization of Postgraduate Courses in Internal Medicine in regions without intense and regular exchange with international colleagues from other parts of the world. Such an exchange is very fruitful for both sides. These courses are always very well attended and quite successful. The idea behind these courses is the following: It may be more efficient to bring the teachers to the place in need than to invite the physicians to congresses abroad, what would be much more expensive than travelling to the capital of the home country. The Educational Foundation of ISIM is usually covering the costs for flights, transportation and lodging of international speakers, whereas the local organizers are providing congress facilities and logistic support.
We are very thankful to AstraZeneca for their generous local support in Accra.